Accounts & Best Practices
The YCRC HPC Policies can found here. All users are required to abide by the described policies.
- Do not run jobs, transfers or computation on a login node, instead submit jobs.
- Similarly, transfer nodes are only for data transfers. Do not run jobs or computation on the transfer nodes.
- Never give your password or ssh key to anyone else.
- Do not store any high risk data on the clusters, except Milgram.
- Do not run large numbers of very short (less than a minute) jobs.
- Avoid workflows that generate numerous (thousands) of files as these put great stress on the shared filesystem.
Request an Account
You may request an account on a cluster using the account request form. User accounts are personal to individual users and may not be shared. Under no circumstances may any user make use of another user’s account.
Inactive Accounts and Account Deletion
For security and communication purposes, you must have a valid email address associated with your account. Login privileges will be disable on a regular basis for any accounts without a valid email address. Therefore, if you are leaving Yale, but will continue to use the cluster on a "Sponsored netid", please contact us to update the email address associated with your account as soon as possible. If you find your login has been disabled, please contact us to provide a valid email address to have your login reinstated.
Additionally, an annual account audit is performed on November 1st and any accounts associated with an inactive netids (regular and Sponsored netids) will be deactivated at that time. Note that Sponsored netids need to be renewed annually through the appropriate channels.
When an account is deactivated, logins and scheduler access are disabled, the home directory is archived for 5 years and all project data owned by the account is reassigned to the group's PI. The group's PI will receive a report once a year in November with a list of deactivated group members.
Every group must have a PI with a valid affiliation with Yale. If your PI has left Yale, you may be asked to identify a new faculty sponsor for your account in order to continue accessing the cluster.